“Roughly 75% of Americans are now smartphone owners, and in Australia it’s a huge 80%!” ” – Pew Research
These statistics on smartphone ownership are only going to increase as more and more people rely heavily on their phones for search, shopping and connecting. Some of the statistics around mobile/cell use are quite staggering:
- Open rate for SMS is 98% compared to 22.87% for emails (Source: Mobile Marketing Watch)
- 67% of cell/mobile owners find themselves checking their phone for messages, alerts, or calls — even when they don’t notice their phone ringing or vibrating. (Source: Pew Research)
- Texting is the most widely used and frequently used app on a smartphone, with 97% of Americans using it at least once a day. (Source: Pew Internet)
- Over 6 billion text messages are sent in the U.S. each day. (Source: Forrester)
- Over 80% of American adults text, making it the most common cell phone activity. (Source: Pew Internet)
Email marketing can be over populated with spam. People are becoming increasingly unlikely to open messages they haven’t agreed to receive. Furthermore, the overwhelming volume of spam in people’s inboxes makes them much less likely to open anything that isn’t a personal message from someone they know. Because the number of messages is often so great, many just routinely delete all messages that aren’t of a personal nature, whether or not they’ve expressed an interest in receiving messages from some of the senders.
Compare 22.87% open rate of emails to 98% (with 1% spam) from SMS messages and you will see that SMS is a VITAL tool for ALL real estate agents.
Here are just some of the ways real estate agents should be using SMS to stay connected in 2017:
- Follow up with a ‘thank you for visiting’ text straight after an open home. This is a great way to immediately get your details straight to your visitor. Good apps these days will make sure your name, agency and mobile is at the end of the message so if your client loses your card or brochure, they will have your details in their phone.
- SMS the vendor immediately after the open with the number of visitors, how many contracts requested, how many favourites (hot prospects keen on the property). Again, apps like Open House ID are set up to automatically compile these details – all you have to do is add the vendor’s cell/mobile number. This would be separate to a full vendor report going out after the open house, which is generally emailed.
- SMS visitors to remind them of the auction date. Send bulk SMS to all the visitors who have visited that property from the start of your campaign, a reminder of the date, time and location (if it’s off-site) of the auction.
- SMS everyone who visited the property from the beginning of the campaign, the sale or auction price of a particular property.
- SMS can be used to individual visitors for any number of other arrangements or updates e.g. to confirm a meeting on the particular day if arrangements were made some time prior; quick questions to a vendor about their property; etc. Sometimes a quick text is less intrusive than a phone call and of course, an email could go straight to the Junk Folder or get lost in masses of emails clogging up someone’s inbox.
Of course, there are still lots of reasons to use email marketing. A marketing mix is important and newsletters, which are very visual, are a must in the real estate industry. Newsletters can include updates to your clients on new listings, latest sales, Agency news as well as any community news that may be relevant. Also some more formal requirements are much better suited to email. Newsletters may go out once a month or even every couple of months so you don’t bombard your prospective clients as opposed to quick SMS messages.
SMS can be very costly if your CRM (database software) is charging you per text. However, shop around. Everyone has unlimited SMS in their phone plans these days and some apps have the SMS feature free of charge based on your phone plan.
As a means to stay connected in this day and age, though, you can’t beat SMS. If you aren’t using SMS as part of your real estate marketing strategy, then you are missing out on a vital tool that could be costing you big time on winning those listings.
Did you know that Open House ID app offers all of the SMS functions mentioned above for you to stay in touch with your visitors? Check it out!
Do you need an open house app to manage your visitors and properties?
Stay ahead of the game and download Open House ID today.